Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Cant get the hc tires to hook up

OP
TOMMYJR9

TOMMYJR9

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Thread Starter #21
I would agree anything in the 7's are good numbers.
Ok I Guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

socalfun64

Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
TEHACHAPI
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Ok I Guess

The problem is you are still running 20" wheels and Tires. Anybody who takes it seriously at all switches to 17 or 18" Wheels and Tires. The optimum would be 15" but you would have to replace the rear brakes with a smaller size for which there is a kit. 17" Weld Wheels are the best bet with MT et street R Drag Radials in 305 series. Mickey Thompson has the best rubber compound by far (R2). Next cheaper route is 18" Bravado Tributes which are replica wheels that look a lot like stock HC Wheels. You still stick with MT 305 series. They don't even need much of a burn out. The only downside to the Bravados is they are cast not forged but there haven't been any reports of failures. Just don't use them for dd. Good luck. If you want exact tire sizes I can get them for you or just search.

OP
TOMMYJR9

TOMMYJR9

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Thread Starter #23
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John G.

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
It sounds like TOMMYJR9 was asking about the best tire for drag racing. I'd like to know which is the best tire (grippiest) for street use. We have a lot of Subaru WRX STI's here in the Pacific NW, and I'd like to be able to hang with them across the intersection.

John G.

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
TOMMYJR9, do you have a manual or automatic? If a manual, what rpm are you dropping the clutch at?

socalfun64

Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
TEHACHAPI
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
It sounds like TOMMYJR9 was asking about the best tire for drag racing. I'd like to know which is the best tire (grippiest) for street use. We have a lot of Subaru WRX STI's here in the Pacific NW, and I'd like to be able to hang with them across the intersection.
You need to run the Drag Radials on the Street as well for any chance of grip with these monster torque makers. I'm running the Nitto NT555R at around 25 psi on the street because they still get decent life. I know more serious guys still run the MT Street R tires although they will not last as long they are the best for grip. I found that adding in 2 or 3 50-60lb sandbags in the trunk right over the wheels really helps get the power down. The extra weight in this beast really won't hurt considering what the benefit is (traction).

Good Luck!

John G.

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks for your post. How do the Nitto drag radials handle on the street? I don't just accelerate hard; I like to turn hard too. Would the Nitto NT01 road course tire give the same grip but handle better on the street?

socalfun64

Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
TEHACHAPI
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thanks for your post. How do the Nitto drag radials handle on the street? I don't just accelerate hard; I like to turn hard too. Would the Nitto NT01 road course tire give the same grip but handle better on the street?
Since your still using your stock tires on the front the Kitty still handles great. In fact a friend who road races told me the Nittos wear better and grip as good as on the track than the stock Pirellis. My street setup is stock 20" Summer Pirellis on front, 20" Nitto nt555r on the rear and 200lbs of sand bags right over the rear axel/tires. Even across intersections it grips soooo much better. You really have to secure the weight in the trunk tho cause it wants to move on acceleration or hard braking. I don't have any experience with the NT01 but they are not nearly as soft a compound as the nt555r so that would make a dif on forward bite. Oh, also, keep the air pressure on the rears around 25 psi but the fronts at normal. It makes the beast kitty so much more fun to drive on the street.

ps. I guess you could run the nt01's on the front. They are probably a better tire than the P-Zeros for grip imo.

OP
TOMMYJR9

TOMMYJR9

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Thread Starter #29
The problem is you are still running 20" wheels and Tires. Anybody who takes it seriously at all switches to 17 or 18" Wheels and Tires. The optimum would be 15" but you would have to replace the rear brakes with a smaller size for which there is a kit. 17" Weld Wheels are the best bet with MT et street R Drag Radials in 305 series. Mickey Thompson has the best rubber compound by far (R2). Next cheaper route is 18" Bravado Tributes which are replica wheels that look a lot like stock HC Wheels. You still stick with MT 305 series. They don't even need much of a burn out. The only downside to the Bravados is they are cast not forged but there haven't been any reports of failures. Just don't use them for dd. Good luck. If you want exact tire sizes I can get them for you or just search.

I'm ready to purchase my rear tires can you please give me to set ups on the 17s with the weild wheels and then the cheaper way I don't want to do any aalterations to the braking system of the car so what is the very best way to go for rear rubber to get the ultimate glue

OP
TOMMYJR9

TOMMYJR9

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Thread Starter #30
I'm ready to purchase my rear tires can you please give me to set ups on the 17s with the weild wheels and then the cheaper way I don't want to do any aalterations to the braking system of the car so what is the very best way to go for rear rubber to get the ultimate glue

I guess the exact tire size rim size etc. etc. where to buy them because I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure this out

socalfun64

Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
TEHACHAPI
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I guess the exact tire size rim size etc. etc. where to buy them because I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure this out

Sure. Lets go to the expert though. DRAGRCR is way more knowlegable than me and will be able to recommend the exact right everything including any modding for the wheel well or end links with certain wheels. He's on www.hellcat.org. If you don't have an account there you should anyway. Let me know if you have the same username over there?

OP
TOMMYJR9

TOMMYJR9

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Thread Starter #32
Thanks, I don't know how to invite him. Sorry, I have a 2016 challenger hellcat I'm doing mods now with tune pulley driveshaft and 3.09 rear etc etc about 825 rwhp I'm looking to get the best set up for dragracing I will be driving the car to the strip. I'm looking to go cheap for the rims because I see no value in spending big money on the rims. So far I think the Mickey Thompson's would be the best way to go. Mt ET street r & black rock rims. As I shared earlier I don't want to do any mods to the braking system or wheel wells. And I'm very confused about the different tire sizes with etc. so I'm humbly asking with the Mickey Thompson ET street r & Black rocks what sizes and dimensions etc. should I get? Part numbers would even be better it be simpler for me. I really appreciate your help. If you think that something would be better for me I'm open to suggestions

socalfun64

Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
TEHACHAPI
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I saw your account on hellcat.org so I started a 3 way conversation between me, dragrcr (Ron) and you. Head over there and say hi. He really really knows his stuff.

OP
TOMMYJR9

TOMMYJR9

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Thread Starter #34
Hello gentlemen thank you in advance for your help