Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Sound System Help

StevieGJD

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
For those of you who think the factory Alpine sound system sounds great, I am glad you are happy, but this question is not for you.

I really thought the Alpine speakers sounded very flat and the midrange was awful. As I understand it, the rear speakers (6x9) get the full range of sound, but cannot accept all 6x9 speakers without modification. I also understand that the front speakers are divided between 6x9 woofers in the doors (that are even more restrictive than the rear ones) and 3.5s in the dashboard corners that are for midrange. If I am wrong about these things, please let me know.

I disliked the speakers so much that I upgraded them through a really good car stereo place. I have Focal 6x9s in the back and Focal separates in the front - woofers in the door, midrange in the corners and tweeters in the unused center grill spot. The sound is much better, it is not even close really. I was really unhappy before and now I like the sound. There is great separation, excellent midrange and tweeters that are so vibrant I have to back them off a bit. The low end sound is pretty good on most music. But I'd like some more please.

I resisted changing the amp out just yet, partially because I did not want my wife to have a heart attack. Spending $1200 on speakers is bad enough.

I am pondering a powered subwoofer now. But I do not want my trunk to be consumed by a big box. I have looked at powered tube subs, but am unsure whether either the factory Alpine amp or the head unit has a sub out plug area. I have seen powered tubes that can run off the high power signal coming to the speakers too. The under the seat subs I have seen don't impress me and I am unsure what is under these seats anyway.

Anybody who has any input on these issues would be appreciated greatly.

HellcatMike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
I used to have a powered Bazooka tube in my old car, the best part about those is that you can easily remove them to save weight.

Member ID
Reactions
I posted quite a bit on one of these forums about my sound system upgrades. Here is a pic of my 12" Alpine Type R sub in a custom box. Doesn't take up that much space, and is easily removable when desired. My carbon fiber braces keep it wedged in place however I drive too.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

OP
S

StevieGJD

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
The ease of removing it was one of the virtues I hoped for too. Thanks.

Member ID
Reactions
The ease of removing it was one of the virtues I hoped for too. Thanks.
I have a set of spade connectors on the wires to make a good solid, yet removable connection.

HellcatMike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
I posted quite a bit on one of these forums about my sound system upgrades. Here is a pic of my 12" Alpine Type R sub in a custom box. Doesn't take up that much space, and is easily removable when desired. My carbon fiber braces keep it wedged in place however I drive too.

Looks really clean.

oeuro5

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
For those of you who think the factory Alpine sound system sounds great, I am glad you are happy, but this question is not for you.

I really thought the Alpine speakers sounded very flat and the midrange was awful. As I understand it, the rear speakers (6x9) get the full range of sound, but cannot accept all 6x9 speakers without modification. I also understand that the front speakers are divided between 6x9 woofers in the doors (that are even more restrictive than the rear ones) and 3.5s in the dashboard corners that are for midrange. If I am wrong about these things, please let me know.

I disliked the speakers so much that I upgraded them through a really good car stereo place. I have Focal 6x9s in the back and Focal separates in the front - woofers in the door, midrange in the corners and tweeters in the unused center grill spot. The sound is much better, it is not even close really. I was really unhappy before and now I like the sound. There is great separation, excellent midrange and tweeters that are so vibrant I have to back them off a bit. The low end sound is pretty good on most music. But I'd like some more please.

I resisted changing the amp out just yet, partially because I did not want my wife to have a heart attack. Spending $1200 on speakers is bad enough.

I am pondering a powered subwoofer now. But I do not want my trunk to be consumed by a big box. I have looked at powered tube subs, but am unsure whether either the factory Alpine amp or the head unit has a sub out plug area. I have seen powered tubes that can run off the high power signal coming to the speakers too. The under the seat subs I have seen don't impress me and I am unsure what is under these seats anyway.

Do you remember the impedance of OEM 6x9 Alpine speakers? I know that 3.5" ones in the dash were 2.3 ohms so I replaced them with JBL GX302 speakers. I'm also looking to replace my door and rear deck speakers with JBL GX963 which are supposedly 2.3 or 3 ohms (according to Crutchfield and Sonic websites). I currently have Level 1 Apline 6-speaker system in my Charger Hellcat and it sounds like garbage. Also how was the fitment, that kind of worries me too. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
S

StevieGJD

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
I truly appreciate your question about the sound system. You can hear how mediocre the factory sound is. Unfortunately, I do not know the ohms. I know that three way separates were installed in the front, with the tweeters under the dashboard in a spot for lame speakers. While the sound now is not the best I've ever had, it is very good.

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Charger, 2021 Hellcat Durango

I found the Alpine system in my Scat Charger sub-par. But because they are Alpine speakers all I had to do was run a JL amp to them. I did so for 9 months with no issues. For bass I put 1 JL W12 which rounded everything out. Now that I have the Harmon Kardon system in my Hellcat, I still find it substandard. I mean, I am sure it's good for most but all factory stereos are woefully underpowered. Again, I am moving my amp over for the mids and will move my sub and amp over for bass. Due to Alpine and Harmon Karmon "staging" in the Dodge vehicles, you will need to get the AP4 for behind the factory head unit. I am not 100% sure how it does it, but basically allows everything to be tuned. The biggest thing for me was making door chimes and phone calls normal without them blowing my speakers. It allows everything to sound badass without amplifying door chimes to a deafening volume. If you want to speak to one of the best in the business just for clarification call Rhudy's Car Audio on Yadkin Road, Fayetteville, NC and ask for Chris and he will explain everything. I am excited to hear how the Harmon Kardon sounds running off my JL amplifier. It will run all 19 speakers and should put it around a very clean 126 db, or somwhere in that range. Let me know if you have more questions.
V/R
SpecOps

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!

I have the same Alpine system. The lack of bass imaging was killing me, so I bought the HK dual sub box, from a Challenger... rewired the OEM speakers and drive it with a Kicker ZX400.1 monoblock.

The OEM 10 woofers are rated at about 75ish watts RMS. The box is now wired at 8 ohms, down to a 2 wire input. This nets me about 100 watts RMS, from the amp.

Overdriving speakers a bit, but I'll run them till they crap out. No clipping, either. For now, the bass imaging is pretty good and I still have my trunk space :)

Bob
Riverside, California