Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

AWD setting in the Performance Pages - anyone mess with the 50/50 spit setting? (outside of when driving in snow or mud)

Member ID
Reactions
City
Warrenton
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT 392 Premium
I was messing around with the custom setup page the other day, and chose 50/50 and put pretty much everything in sport, and it sure seemed to me that I got the most immediate head-snapping acceleration I've ever experienced with em - and we've had two Scat Packs in the past.

I know historically there has been discussion regarding the transfer case potentially being a weak spot in the system. Has anyone experienced similar in choosing 50/50, and for the hard core mechanically minded - would this invite any potential greater wear on the driveline, than say having the AWD setting differently for pedal to metal runs? I see some of those HC pics on the interwebs where all four tires are smoking, and wonder if they are in 50/50 at that time?

Just for reference, I believe the SRT supplement lists the available AWD settings as:

Per the SRT supplement:
Track = 30% front / 70% rear
Sport = 35% front / 65% rear
Street = 40% front / 60% rear
Custom option = 50% front/back

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Seems to me that less power going to the front will help those parts live longer, and the rear is a bit beefier so it can better deal with up to 70%.

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I have a RWD so I don’t have to worry, I get all the power. Pull the fuse and go full RWD

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I have a RWD so I don’t have to worry, I get all the power. Pull the fuse and go full RWD
I tried that, but then the wipers and a few other things stopped working. Also, it still only felt like 305 hp.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I tried that, but then the wipers and a few other things stopped working. Also, it still only felt like 305 hp.

I bet it was at least 307.

OP
Hamsquatch
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warrenton
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
I tried to study the owner's manual and the SRT supplement, and I didn't see any warnings about driving spirited or performing hard acceleration while in the 50/50 split, so I'm gonna experiment a little more when I can get to my isolated spot where I can do 0-60 runs safely and unmolested.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
What are you hoping to achieve by running at 50/50? Unless you have a fairly heavy winch or something hanging off the front I can't see how it could improve anything.

OP
Hamsquatch
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warrenton
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
Hey Jimmy N., I'm not really consumed with it - I'm just curious in if/how the 50/50 split can potentially make a "from stand still" launch even more intense. The couple times I used it that way, it was indeed almost head snapping intense - to the point where I wondered "was that harmful?" LOL. And I'm also not saying there is any front slip in any of the other settings - I don't know if there is - but I'm just curious.

I suspect some of us like me may try to get a custom setting to use for absolute maximum take off from a stop. This is coming from someone that giggled all the time when we'd launch our Scat Packs, and almost always still had lots of tire spin, even when the run times were great.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Well, if it wasn't for the inevitable weight transfer when accelerating (or the vehicle is really front heavy) the 50/50 approach might help.

As it is, there's probably a reason why 50/50 is for use in snow (if I remember the Trackhawk settings correctly).
Think of it as brake bias in reverse if you will. Front brakes are larger because of weight transfer.