Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Service electronic throttle/stability - P2118

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
At least it's not a loose ground wire in the car wash this time but the last couple times out with the car on the race tune I have encountered an intermittent service electronic throttle control message along with service stability which typically disappears almost instantly.

I was able to catch the code one time as it damn near disabled the throttle and it threw code p2118 which appears to have something to do with the motor drawing too much current?

Car is FBO ported blower on a 2.5 pulley and an unmodified Kong 108mm TB that has been trouble free since 2021 thru at least 2 tune revisions on flex and 1 on the race tune.

I cannot see any obvious wire damage from the TB along the harness back to the firewall and I've cleaned and re-seated the connector.

If i had to guess at this point I'd say the motor is getting ready to take a dump.

Anyone fight this demon (haha. Joke) before? What was your resolution?

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Best I can do for you is give you the diagnostic tests from the FSM.

Attachments

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Best I can do for you is give you the diagnostic tests from the FSM.
By chance do you have a couple of the other sections that reference how to build that load testing tool?

That test procedure is gold though. Thanks a ton!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
At least it's not a loose ground wire in the car wash this time but the last couple times out with the car on the race tune I have encountered an intermittent service electronic throttle control message along with service stability which typically disappears almost instantly.

I was able to catch the code one time as it damn near disabled the throttle and it threw code p2118 which appears to have something to do with the motor drawing too much current?

Car is FBO ported blower on a 2.5 pulley and an unmodified Kong 108mm TB that has been trouble free since 2021 thru at least 2 tune revisions on flex and 1 on the race tune.

I cannot see any obvious wire damage from the TB along the harness back to the firewall and I've cleaned and re-seated the connector.

If i had to guess at this point I'd say the motor is getting ready to take a dump.

Anyone fight this demon (haha. Joke) before? What was your resolution?
Defecating motors ...are not a good thing

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
How long have you had it? Could be tune related. Do a throttle relearn procedure. Unplug and plug back in. Don’t understand the stability control

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
How long have you had it? Could be tune related. Do a throttle relearn procedure. Unplug and plug back in. Don’t understand the stability control
A good idea. If it was tuned that's probably a mistake. From Kong: 108mm is plug n' play, no tuning required.

By chance do you have a couple of the other sections that reference how to build that load testing tool?

That test procedure is gold though. Thanks a ton!
(1:17-1:20 🤣)

Attachments

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
A good idea. If it was tuned that's probably a mistake. From Kong: 108mm is plug n' play, no tuning required.
been on the car and dusterhoff tuned with this TB since 2021 without issue. Only started this year and it's pretty intermittent at the current time.

I have been seeing some odd log behavior that can't be explained by fuel, spark, belt slip, etc and EQ err is negligible...so I wonder if it's been acting up all year just not enough to trigger the light.

That picture is exactly what I needed. Thanks again. I'll see what I can dig up this week.

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Could still be a tuning issue, or the motor is having issue. Probe it, and log what your pedal voltage says

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I had that issue with whipples 160 mm monoplane throttle body for the 4.5. Ended up being tuning related.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I get this a lot. Obviously stated above I don’t tune the car. But he’s been tuned 3 years without the issue and now it randomly shows up it’s not a tune issue. Everything is always pointed towards the tune because that’s the easy thing to do.

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
That’s why I also recommended logging the voltage to see if maybe the motor is going bad
I get this a lot. Obviously stated above I don’t tune the car. But he’s been tuned 3 years without the issue and now it randomly shows up it’s not a tune issue. Everything is always pointed towards the tune because that’s the easy thing to do.

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #12
I honestly would have to look as I don't believe I'm logging voltage but instead pedal position and throttle percentages. I do know we've adjusted the voltage to trigger WOT/"PE" downward to settle some middle throttle angle/lower boost issues but as Jon stated...it's been set that way since 2020 and and the TB installed since 2021 with no real issues. Tune was updated at that point due to ported blower and TB with everything getting reviewed last year after headers & chiller.

Intake filter needs cleaned anyway so legmaker will be coming off. I'll check for debris and clean various surfaces while it's off JiC but I've already emailed Curt and the car still drives fine when it wants to so I'll probably order a TB just because I can't afford to be chasing my tail come September. In the mean time I'll run thru building a load tester and checking the circuit out but after that and cleaning up the plate/bore it's pretty much replace TB anyway.

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States