Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

SIRIUS satcomms blocker.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
First... like the cellcomm blocker, I'm not selling this item. It is an easy diy project. Conversely you can buy the right connector, with a bnc pigtail and a bnc 50 ohm terminator and accomplish the same thing (for about $40).

So, I cancelled my Sirius account, years ago. They recently sent me a letter to tell me they have activated service, on my radio, for three months. Well, I don't want their crappy service, and I don't want them collecting and selling my data.

I broke open the service manual and figured out a way to block satcomms. You may remember, I made a cell blocker, not too long ago. This is the same principal, as that piece of hardware.

Now, Stellantis and Sirius are blocked, from any "updates", or data collection in regards to my vehicle. If you are concerned about your privacy and don't have a Sirius account, the process to make a blocker is the same as my cell block:

https://www.hellcatforum.org/threads/how-to-cell-comm-killer.12474/

Even if you don't have an account, you can bet your ass they're tracking you and collecting data. They have full access, to the car's network.

For a satcomm blocker, you will need the following:

FAKRA K (CURRY) connector for RG58.

One 50 ohm wirewound 1%, 3 watt resistor. This is critical, as the tolerance for the network to throw a code is very tight.

You can forego the faraday material, but be sure to epoxy the resistor, after you solder it to the conductor, and install heat shrink over the resistor, after the epoxy is dry.

Pull the screen.

Remove the curry colored connector and replace it, with the satcomm blocker. Replace the screen and put your dash back together.

Sat blocked. No codes. No warning messages. No data collection. No snooping.

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
Sirius/XM receiver is a two way satellite communicator?

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

I could see them linking back through cell service, but two way satellite?

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Also, I'm not selling anything. Just wanted a way to lock them out, so I made a tin foil hat, for my car. LOL

Do it, or don't... for whatever reason :)

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
I could see them linking back through cell service, but two way satellite?
I get it. They're doing a LOT of stuff, with their service. Not just playing music. I asked myself... why is it so important for them to maintain connectivity, to my vehicle? $$$ came to mind.

Whatever that means, I no longer wanted to be a part of it, so I opted out... hard.

Bi-directional satcomms? I don't know, for certain. Exploiting sat data and cell transmission... very likely. Now, my vehicle is off grid. One way, or another.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I get it. They're doing a LOT of stuff, with their service. Not just playing music. I asked myself... why is it so important for them to maintain connectivity, to my vehicle? $$$ came to mind.

Whatever that means, I no longer wanted to be a part of it, so I opted out... hard.

Bi-directional satcomms? I don't know, for certain. Exploiting sat data and cell transmission... very likely. Now, my vehicle is off grid. One way, or another.

From what I just found, at least for part of the service, there are repeaters sending data upwards.

There are some differences in the legacy hardware for XM versus Sirius and then SiriusXM.

I'll be damned.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
"Crappy service" i like my Sirius. Have it on all my vehicles. Nice not listening to commercials. Still crazy we don't have cd players:unsure:

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
"Crappy service" i like my Sirius. Have it on all my vehicles. Nice not listening to commercials. Still crazy we don't have cd players:unsure:
Yeah, my comment was purely editorial. I found I only listened to a handful of stations. Just wasn't worth the cost.

I have a dedicated music device, in my car (just an old phone, with a media server on it).
I can make playlists and update the device wirelessly via wifi.

Works for me.

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Yes that I know about and it uses 4G cell service as I understand it, not direct 2 way satellite communications. My 2015 quit working when 3G service was shut off so I think I'm safe if it ever was a threat. Since I do carry a cell phone I am tracked at all times anyway. Thanks.

For those times when you don't want to be, investigate "Developer Mode"... Single switch cuts off all sensors/radios among lots of other options.

; )

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Around Christmas my deactivated sirius popped up and I said I had free service for a limited time. Great! I went to the 60's station and it said it was not available. Useless F'kers!

MMissile

500 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Macomb County
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Hellcat WB
I agree about the CD players. NO station on my car radio will play three songs in a row, that I like. I purchased all the music I really like in CD format. I could change out 6-whatever discs, every time I take the Cat or my 300C out. I have probably 3-400 CD's. in my shop, to choose from.

I'm gonna be looking into a trunk-mounted changer setup....for sure in my 300/roadcar. I took a 12-hr roundtrip in it in the fall. The only thing lacking, was decent music. I end up listening to AM talk-radio.

300C 11-3-23.jpg

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Around Christmas my deactivated sirius popped up and I said I had free service for a limited time. Great! I went to the 60's station and it said it was not available. Useless F'kers!
I'ts up there by the blues channel these days.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I'ts up there by the blues channel these days.
Like everything else, the numbskull children running these companies these days keep changing everything to make it "better". Better for who? No one cares. I don't care, they aren't getting another $6/m from me, like I'm paying to be tormented by children. I'm just fine with FM and the sound/interaction with the HC.

Besides, is it too much effort for a millennial to provide a pop-up "this channel has moved"! F'kers can KMA.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Why would I want to block updates to my car? And what information are they stealing from me im confused as to why i would need to block it.

What data would they be collecting and why would I care and furthermore why would I want to block Satellite radio? I dont listen to standard radio ever cause there is a commercial every 30 seconds smh. In fact, I dont know anyone personally who doesnt listen to Satellite radio.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
I agree about the CD players. NO station on my car radio will play three songs in a row, that I like. I purchased all the music I really like in CD format. I could change out 6-whatever discs, every time I take the Cat or my 300C out. I have probably 3-400 CD's. in my shop, to choose from.

I'm gonna be looking into a trunk-mounted changer setup....for sure in my 300/roadcar. I took a 12-hr roundtrip in it in the fall. The only thing lacking, was decent music. I end up listening to AM talk-radio.

View attachment 126453
Screw that. Can you even buy a CD changer anymore? Take one of your old phones, rip your CDs, copy them to the old phone and use it as a music player in your car.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
Why would I want to block updates to my car?
Are you envisioning that they are updating new engine timing settings, A/F ratios, etc. They are not updates to make your car run better.