Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

18+ Launch Control...do you use it at the track?

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Hopefully doing a few more things by the time it gets cooler out. 9.5 or better is the goal

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
You can try pumping the brakes a few times to build more pressure prior to activation. That will help from over running the brakes.

I've actually had my front skinnies slide on the track causing me to red light as well so you have to sorta feel it out.

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
I had used it religiously both with the stock motor and my eventual pullied and tuned configuration that I ran a best of 10.1 with. I found it to be very very consistent and easy to use.

However, my first time back at the track with my new built 426 6 weeks or so ago, I set it up as I usually would and staged at the tree pushing about 1600 RPM when the car decided to unleash an unholy burnout instead of holding the stall. Got pulled out of the lane, scolded and banned from that lane the rest of the night. Have over 100 problem free passes there....guess it doesn't matter to them. Clearly a malfunction rather than driver incompetence at that point.

I messed around with different RPM's in the parking lot to see if I could replicate what had happened and it was a very fine balance between stalling the car (big cam) and it just pushing through the brakes and roasting a burnout instead of holding the stall. 1300 RPM seemed to be the right RPM to have neither occur.

Despite that, I settled on probably just foot breaking it from now on. Can't risk a malfunction like that at the tree again and getting kicked out of the track. Guess the stock dodge systems don't like the 426.....

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
Those tables are torque based if memory serves, so a tune change may help. I'd have to go back and look it's been a while.

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Those tables are torque based if memory serves, so a tune change may help. I'd have to go back and look it's been a while.
Ah, maybe I'll have to bug my great tuner @Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC to update them for me because I certainly do like my launch control :)

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Wow they did you wrong
I had used it religiously both with the stock motor and my eventual pullied and tuned configuration that I ran a best of 10.1 with. I found it to be very very consistent and easy to use.

However, my first time back at the track with my new built 426 6 weeks or so ago, I set it up as I usually would and staged at the tree pushing about 1600 RPM when the car decided to unleash an unholy burnout instead of holding the stall. Got pulled out of the lane, scolded and banned from that lane the rest of the night. Have over 100 problem free passes there....guess it doesn't matter to them. Clearly a malfunction rather than driver incompetence at that point.

I messed around with different RPM's in the parking lot to see if I could replicate what had happened and it was a very fine balance between stalling the car (big cam) and it just pushing through the brakes and roasting a burnout instead of holding the stall. 1300 RPM seemed to be the right RPM to have neither occur.

Despite that, I settled on probably just foot breaking it from now on. Can't risk a malfunction like that at the tree again and getting kicked out of the track. Guess the stock dodge systems don't like the 426.....

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Man now you guys have me wanting to try launch control

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Mines a 2015 though. Maybe it’s different, but I know torque reserve was ported to the 2015s

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Wow they did you wrong
Ya, they quite pissed me off with that honestly. Not really in a hurry to go back, especially after dropping so much on that track over the years not only racing there but also attending all of the NHRA races, etc. The event this happened at was a $200 a pop "extreme prep night" so you can imagine I was extra thrilled to be treated that way after having spent so much.

I ended up going to the tower to talk to the race director both as a "my bad" but equally as a "why are you guys being assholes tonight?" He agreed to let me back into that lane but told me if it happens again, he's got to kick me out. I said thanks, made one more pass where I didn't hook because my Mickey's were shot anyways, then left and haven't been back.

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
1.5's in the 60 with LC.

IMG_0262.JPG

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ya, they quite pissed me off with that honestly. Not really in a hurry to go back, especially after dropping so much on that track over the years not only racing there but also attending all of the NHRA races, etc. The event this happened at was a $200 a pop "extreme prep night" so you can imagine I was extra thrilled to be treated that way after having spent so much.

I ended up going to the tower to talk to the race director both as a "my bad" but equally as a "why are you guys being assholes tonight?" He agreed to let me back into that lane but told me if it happens again, he's got to kick me out. I said thanks, made one more pass where I didn't hook because my Mickey's were shot anyways, then left and haven't been back.
I would have smoked them on the line lock until they were gone for that last time. Heck with that

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
All this talk has me wondering about it. I’d much rather use launch control, but I wonder how it is for actual racing not test and tune?

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle

Attachments

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
I was achieving consistent 1.4x 60 foots in Go Man Go but it took me years to get it dialed in.

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Mines a mid 1.4 every time it hooks but by stabbing it. Wondering if launch control will actually work

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
Stabbing the throttle has a tendency to break stuff. I was stalling mine up to about 1200 and then quickly rolling in to the throttle off the foot brake. LC never worked in my 2016 just blew the tires off every time.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Those are nice times. The best I’ve ever cut was a 1.46, with launch control of course.
The bigger displacement of the engine is going to change the stall. I want to say my car with the 428 it is technically a 1700 stall now on the redeye converter. If it was pushing through like that I would assume he was over the stall rather than making to much torque. At least I think I read that right it started doing a burnout while staging not after the launch.

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
The bigger displacement of the engine is going to change the stall. I want to say my car with the 428 it is technically a 1700 stall now on the redeye converter. If it was pushing through like that I would assume he was over the stall rather than making to much torque. At least I think I read that right it started doing a burnout while staging not after the launch.
Gotcha. Ya, this happened at the tree while sitting in launch control mode as you understood correctly. Held the stall for a second and then just did a fat burnout.

Is this something we can adjust in the tune or do I just need to stall it lower? Like I said, it's really hard to find a balance between the motor stalling in launch control or lighting the tires up it seems.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Gotcha. Ya, this happened at the tree while sitting in launch control mode as you understood correctly. Held the stall for a second and then just did a fat burnout.

Is this something we can adjust in the tune or do I just need to stall it lower? Like I said, it's really hard to find a balance between the motor stalling in launch control or lighting the tires up it seems.
I never try to launch over 1500. If you wanted to go higher so the tires do not start spinning you’d need a higher stall torque converter.

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
I never try to launch over 1500. If you wanted to go higher so the tires do not start spinning you’d need a higher stall torque converter.
Alright, I'll play with it some more when I can get back to the track. It seemed like it was pretty happy at 1300 RPM which should be more than enough. Will just make sure I keep it on the lower side now.