Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Adding trailer package???

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Don’t mind @Jimmy N., his brain is still thawing (not quite defrosted in the arctic yet) and doesn’t realize everyone doesn’t use multiple vehicle/heavy equipment hauler goosenecks that probably weight over 5k lbs lol. A lot of people tow their hellcats to the track with an r/t with tow n go. Tow away with your Durango! But the TRX is probably the better rig. If you really want to tow, you should trade them both in, get a 2500 super duty and a gooseneck 😉

OP
Braaaaap

Braaaaap

Active Military
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
Don’t mind @Jimmy N., his brain is still thawing (not quite defrosted in the arctic yet) and doesn’t realize everyone doesn’t use multiple vehicle/heavy equipment hauler goosenecks that probably weight over 5k lbs lol. A lot of people tow their hellcats to the track with an r/t with tow n go. Tow away with your Durango! But the TRX is probably the better rig. If you really want to tow, you should trade them both in, get a 2500 super duty and a gooseneck 😉
Haha no offense taken.
Its the equivalent of someone asking for a simple home defense shotgun and being told unless you have claymores, a MK19 and M2 don’t bother with it 😂🤣

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
For towing it's hard to beat the one ton dually long bed with the Cummins. I have many miles towing with mine and I find wheelbase helps and the dual rear wheels eliminate almost any unwanted trailer movement. Compare that to towing with a 1500 short wheelbase and they are worlds apart.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Most people in here are talking about using normal trailers for 1 car, not multi vehicle/heavy equipment haulers lol. And you put 195 tires in your trx? 🤨
Well, the trailer I use the most is a little 18-footer, almost long enough for most cars (I might add two feet to it). But it's too narrow for a TRX, for example.

And yes, since the OE tires are the widest allowable for the 9" wide wheels, they didn't exactly provide crisp handling - something the TRX already isn't very good at.

A rear anti sway bar helped quite a bit, especially with the squirrelly behavior when accelerating to pass a vehicle. Most likely the AWD being a little upset when the right rear corner drops due to the squishy suspension.

Going to 295s really helped stabilize things, and as an added bonus is much better in slush. And in snow and on ice in general.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
WTF Holy guy....Jimmie lives in the South West...not in the Artic Circle :rolleyes: (I know yer brain is half baked from the Fla. sun...but you really gotta start payin attention):oops::oops::oops:;)

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Well, if all I towed was 10K I might consider a 2500. Gasser.

A lot of people feel that a 1500 is more than enough for towing, but I am not one of them. Having towed from 1,5K to 65K I have developed a feel for what works well in real life (not J2807 ratings).

Again, 3K behind a TRX, okay, but it still wouldn't be my first choice. But better than a Durango, because of the extra weight and wheelbase.
So I can't use my 4 door for towing, it has over 900 lb/ft of torque:unsure:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
So I can't use my 4 door for towing, it has over 900 lb/ft of torque:unsure:
That would make it score well in the J2807 tests.

They really like power (to go up hills), but aren't all that concerned with going down hills, stopping, handling, or longevity.

High tow ratings sells vehicles, and the J2807 crew seems happy to provide them.

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I forgot how cold the desert gets
WTF Holy guy....Jimmie lives in the South West...not in the Artic Circle :rolleyes: (I know yer brain is half baked from the Fla. sun...but you really gotta start payin attention):oops::oops::oops:;)

SilverBillet

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
My 2021 Jeep GC 5.7 has a 7,200 lb towing capacity. I towed a 6x12 U-Haul trailer with tandem axles both with this one and my previous V-6 JGC 800 miles down I-95. It was effortless. Even though it would be ok weight wise, I wouldn’t want to tow an 18’ open trailer with a car on it. The short JGC wheelbase would not be good for that. All he’s towing is a small trailer with a ATV or one or two motorcycles. That should be no problem for a Durango or a Ram 1500.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
I wouldn't tow with a 1500, but is has to be better than doing it with a Durango.

Only certain swamp people and DGatzby do that.
I guess I am swamp peoples.

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country