Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Brakes on 2018 Charger Hellcat

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I was in a taxi (non-HC) in SF a while back. I asked the driver how long a set of brakes last.

He said: "About 2 weeks".

:ROFLMAO:

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
Ok, 6 years, 45k mi. You had a good run with them. Personally I'd do a full brake job, rebuild the calipers, new rotors, new pads, new flexible lines, get it all good a new and not have to worry about it for another 6y/45kmi. I don't know about you but I may not even live that long! On that line, the extra $1-2k will just come out of your kid's inheritance! Focus on what is most important! :ROFLMAO:
That is what I'm leaning towards, even if the rears are fine. Didn't think about calipers...good idea.

PowerStops seems to be a good kit, though not sure if I know anyone who has used their kit.

Whomever does the work, does the ABS system need a scan tool or anything like that?

Not a fan of the local Dodge dealership. I have a good independent shop...so leaning towards them.

Thanks for all the info and advice.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Okay, one more suggestion; don't use the brakes so damn much.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
View attachment 147038
Much cheaper than PS4s...but not as nice of an overall ride...maybe in my head???
Well it's funny to bring up overall ride quality as it seems like we only ever talk about traction mattering around here!

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #25
The shop I've been using for my other vehicles quoted me up to 2 hours and $250 quote for installation of the PowerStop rotor/brake kit. Does that sound fair.

I was also told by the place I purchased the PowerStop kit that they don't care for PowerStop calipers...but everything else is good. Will probably keep calipers until they are toasted.

Anyone recommend calipers? Brembos?

Take care all.

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Okay, one more suggestion; don't use the brakes so damn much.
Look who's talkin'!!!! :ROFLMAO:

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
That is what I'm leaning towards, even if the rears are fine. Didn't think about calipers...good idea.

PowerStops seems to be a good kit, though not sure if I know anyone who has used their kit.

Whomever does the work, does the ABS system need a scan tool or anything like that?

Not a fan of the local Dodge dealership. I have a good independent shop...so leaning towards them.

The really hard part is proper bleeding of ABS. on my '03 Silverado I tried it at home, it failed inspection, paid the dealer $150 (cheap!) to do it, passed inspection, absolutely no better! But I had my sticker.

DGatzby

7000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Well it's funny to bring up overall ride quality as it seems like we only ever talk about traction mattering around here!
Those 345’s on the rear are the zhit! In many ways very much including the ride quality.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Those 345’s on the rear are the zhit! In many ways very much including the ride quality.
Those are some absolute steamrollers on your car!