Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Collectability?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Exactly. My well used '19 Durango makes me happy. And it's far from a "collectible".

The 'Cat makes me very happy, not because it might become a collectible, but because it's just so much fun to drive.
Similarly, I really like driving the V6 Challenger - largely because it's much more of a "disposable" car.

Guess the moral of the story is that driving around curves at the limit of adhesion is more fun than collecting.
What engine is your durango? I know you love v6s but don't remember on the durango

MMissile

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Macomb County
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Hellcat WB
Don't give a shit. I just drive my stuff.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I've got a considerable 1980s comic book collection. When I bought comics back then I'd buy one to read and one (or more) to keep brand new. I intended to sell them in my 20s to fund my first home purchase. Guess what.....they're still in my office closet and I'm still waiting for them to be worth anything lol. I based my collection on historical prices from the 1960s at the time. Kids in the 60s read the comics and most got torn up. The still decent ones were selling for BIG bucks. Well, everyone else in the 1980s did the same thing I did and now the market is flooded with brand new 1980s comics making them pretty much worthless.
If you started collecting things in the 80's...you missed the boat..(with the exception of some toys)...but ya cant collect EVERYTHING

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Exactly. My well used '19 Durango makes me happy. And it's far from a "collectible".

The 'Cat makes me very happy, not because it might become a collectible, but because it's just so much fun to drive.
Similarly, I really like driving the V6 Challenger - largely because it's much more of a "disposable" car.

Guess the moral of the story is that driving around curves at the limit of adhesion is more fun than collecting.
I don't COLLECT anything...but I have acquired...a ton of what I call stuff...(really cool stuff)

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
What engine is your durango? I know you love v6s but don't remember on the durango
I like the V6s in sacrificial cars. My first experience with one was a '14 1500, an incredibly dull but practical car. Next was a '21 Challenger GT AWD, then the ''23 Challenger GT AWD and '19 Durango GT AWD I have now.

So why the V6? Because I kinda need AWD. Yes, I could've ordered a Durango Pursuit with the 5.7, but fell into a very good deal on the civilian '19. And I suspect I wouldn't have liked a new Pursuit as much as I like the '19.

Besides, if I want more power I have the 6.2s - one only suitable for summer usage, one bought primarily for driving during winter storms.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I like the V6s in sacrificial cars. My first experience with one was a '14 1500, an incredibly dull but practical car. Next was a '21 Challenger GT AWD, then the ''23 Challenger GT AWD and '19 Durango GT AWD I have now.

So why the V6? Because I kinda need AWD. Yes, I could've ordered a Durango Pursuit with the 5.7, but fell into a very good deal on the civilian '19. And I suspect I wouldn't have liked a new Pursuit as much as I like the '19.

Besides, if I want more power I have the 6.2s - one only suitable for summer usage, one bought primarily for driving during winter storms.
I been looking at them so slowly learning. Are all R/Ts awd or is it an option? I'm leaning towards a SRT which are all awd?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I been looking at them so slowly learning. Are all R/Ts awd or is it an option? I'm leaning towards a SRT which are all awd?
I dont think ANY R/T's or SRT's are AWD

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I have seen them both advertised in awd and thought all SRT were awd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
this is what I found
what durangos are awd

Rear-wheel drive is standard on most trims, though all-wheel drive is available and comes standard on both the Durango SRT 392 and SRT Hellcat.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I have seen them both advertised in awd and thought all SRT were awd
We need an expert...pretty sure AWD can only be had with the V6

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
We need an expert...pretty sure AWD can only be had with the V6
On Challengers that is

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The Hellcats certainly are. Much like with Trackhawks, I think they had to be to give the drivetrain a chance to survive.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
Thread Starter #35
Crew Chief Greg's Durango RT with tow n go package is awd

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
Thread Starter #36
Durango R/T with Tow n' Go basically gives you everything the SRT has but has the 5.7 instead of the 6.4. Greg did a lot of research on it when he bought his. At his time of purchase to get the SRT was $11K more and he didn't think it was worth it for just the 6.4 motor. I love his Durango. Sounds amazing with the valved exhaust etc.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
I've got a considerable 1980s comic book collection. When I bought comics back then I'd buy one to read and one (or more) to keep brand new. I intended to sell them in my 20s to fund my first home purchase. Guess what.....they're still in my office closet and I'm still waiting for them to be worth anything lol. I based my collection on historical prices from the 1960s at the time. Kids in the 60s read the comics and most got torn up. The still decent ones were selling for BIG bucks. Well, everyone else in the 1980s did the same thing I did and now the market is flooded with brand new 1980s comics making them pretty much worthless.
And how do you really value them if you get around to selling them? Have to do a lot of research I imagine to even have a clue, and any pro buyer is going to low ball the collection.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
Thread Starter #38
There are places that will give you a valuation, kind of like artwork. Not much low balling I wouldn't expect unless there's some kind of "I'll buy everything" price. I've got a few that I'd cherry pick out and sell independently.....a few are worth several hundred bucks but when I was buying them at 10 years old I thought they'd all be worth that by now lol. Just too many other people kept them basically NIB and the rarity went out the window.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Columbia
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Scat Pack Shaker
Just look how long it took the muscle car era cars to become valuable. 50 years? And that’s with cars that weren’t made in massive quantities that typically rusted to the ground if used and bought by people not thinking about the collectability of them.

Forget about it and go have fun driving the crap out of them.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Just look how long it took the muscle car era cars to become valuable. 50 years? And that’s with cars that weren’t made in massive quantities that typically rusted to the ground if used and bought by people not thinking about the collectability of them.

Forget about it and go have fun driving the crap out of them.
The original muscle cars of the '60s and '70s were gaining good value by the late 80's and early 90s. IMO the biggest thing that drove their collectability was the fact that they didn't make cars with that kind of power and style since - so people remembered them fondly and wanted them back.