Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Lightest front runner?

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Mickey Thompson e mailed me after I addressed my concerns. They stated specifically not to use the lighter tire they have. It is not rated for our heavy car. They said the sportsman is and has been tested up to 200 mph. They state the 138, not 130 as published , Is fine in the quarter. Just not long races over 138 mph.

Demon Dan

Member ID
Reactions
City
San Pedro
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
17s don't fit with stock brakes do they?
17s fit on the front of Demons and 1320s. You just need to make sure you put the balance weights where they won't hit the caliper. I have a set of 17" custom Welds and tires for sale on this site. They are about 56 lbs (total) lighter than the carbon fiber Demon 170 setup.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Mickey Thompson e mailed me after I addressed my concerns. They stated specifically not to use the lighter tire they have. It is not rated for our heavy car. They said the sportsman is and has been tested up to 200 mph. They state the 138, not 130 as published , Is fine in the quarter. Just not long races over 138 mph.
Speed rating is for a long period at that speed. Like they said drag racing is fine because of the short time. Just like the 170 limited to 150 mph. They don't want people using drag tires for high speed for a long period of time

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Speed rating is for a long period at that speed. Like they said drag racing is fine because of the short time. Just like the 170 limited to 150 mph. They don't want people using drag tires for high speed for a long period of time
yes. I was also told if a tire does not have the weight rating it is going to be a slower tire even though lighter. Much more friction as it is not made to support 4700 pounds. So don't let the sportsman 24 pounds scare you away. That tire can be inflated to over 70 psi with less tire friction than the lighter tire.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
Thread Starter #85
If I move away from my cheap ass Race Stars (I think I paid $180 each) it'll have to be for something that makes a really big difference. I have maths to do. Spending 6x that for 1/10 in ET won't be worth it, but I am due some new tires as the M&H are aging. I need to find some real weights on the M&H 28x4.5 vs the Hoosier.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I had the sportsman tire. they are heavy but heavy duty.

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Ok, put my 20" Weld/Momo on the scale: 49#!!!!! I don't think I'll ever see 9's in this car. :(

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
yes. I was also told if a tire does not have the weight rating it is going to be a slower tire even though lighter. Much more friction as it is not made to support 4700 pounds. So don't let the sportsman 24 pounds scare you away. That tire can be inflated to over 70 psi with less tire friction than the lighter tire.
Same reason why a drag radial faster then a slick. For the 6 pounds I would be giving up switching the the ET street fronts could be worth the less rolling resistance

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
If I move away from my cheap ass Race Stars (I think I paid $180 each) it'll have to be for something that makes a really big difference. I have maths to do. Spending 6x that for 1/10 in ET won't be worth it, but I am due some new tires as the M&H are aging. I need to find some real weights on the M&H 28x4.5 vs the Hoosier.
Those 17" combos should work on your 170

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Same reason why a drag radial faster then a slick. For the 6 pounds I would be giving up switching the the ET street fronts could be worth the less rolling resistance
I bet in terms of time about the same. But much more safety. And I remember a thread from a while ago. Someone stated you have a responsibility to the racer in the other lane.