Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ram Cummins emissions recall questions…

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I know there a few Ram heavy duty owners here…. Anyone had the emissions recall done? If so…. Any impact on performance that has been noticeable? I don’t live in a state where it’s required for continued registration (like California). But…. they are offering an extended warranty on that entire system (up to an additional 48k miles) for no charge as an incentive to do the recall. Anybody here know what I’m talking about and have experience or thoughts on this. From what I have read, the emissions (includes DEF system and all that) has been a potential problem after 100k miles. Anybody? Thanks 😊

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
No personal experience since my cab and chassis apparently isn't affected by that recall, but quite a few people are hesitant about having it done, and I can understand why.

On the other hand, I have yet to read that anyone has seen (verified) extra fuel and/or DEF usage.

Since you're selling it I would let the buyer decide.

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #3
No personal experience since my cab and chassis apparently isn't affected by that recall, but quite a few people are hesitant about having it done, and I can understand why.

On the other hand, I have yet to read that anyone has seen (verified) extra fuel and/or DEF usage.

Since you're selling it I would let the buyer decide.
I just got this extended warranty offer in the mail that basically says they will cover that entire emissions system. That thing is and has been the major concern (from what I’ve been told) for these things once they go off the original warranty. I’m betting that the “recalibration” doesn’t do anything good for performance. Of coarse as good as this 2500 has been to me, I would enjoy the new toy aspect of a new one with all the bells. I’m looking at the high end Ford 350 with the HO motor and 10 speed. I had the opportunity to drive one towing a friends car and it was spectacular 🤩

Last edited:
OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #4
I’ve been considering going the delete route but selling it after that is a question.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Wait! You're worried about emission stuff on the Ram, but considering buying a Furd?!?

A friend of mine routinely puts close to 500,000 miles on his Rams, no issues. But then, he tows somewhat heavy more than half of those miles. It's people that use them as cars that tends to have problems.

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #6
Wait! You're worried about emission stuff on the Ram, but considering buying a Furd?!?

A friend of mine routinely puts close to 500,000 miles on his Rams, no issues. But then, he tows somewhat heavy more than half of those miles. It's people that use them as cars that tends to have problems.
I know 😂. Of coarse that’s starting with a new 100k mile warranty. It took me 6 years to hit that with my Ram. I guess I was just impressed with how smooth and powerful that 500hp V8 and 10 speed was. I was surprised. I really don’t know anything about honest real world reliability comparison between the two. Internet jabber isn’t to be taken as fact in my opinion. The hard use (towing) vs around town driving is probably why mine has been trouble free. I’ve probably got 40% of that 100k pulling my 18k lb trailer.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I saw three Furds towed by Rams going to Utah last week. Someone I know drives a Ram tow truck and tows an unproportionate amount of Furds. Apparently, sometimes the internet jabber can be correct.

Then again, I'm a bit biased, never having had enough tools or patience to own a Furd. Sure have worked on them, though.