Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Redeye ran without filter

Member ID
Reactions
City
Denver
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Be careful where you get your cars serviced in Colorado.

Took my 22 Redeye Charger for an oil change at Chrysler Dodge in Colorado and I presume they started my car without the filter on. Have oil everywhere inside the engine bay. Got home and found a puddle of oil leaking from the skid plate with scratches on the bumper from a lift.
Currently getting a tow to see what they’ll do to remedy the issue.
Whole oil change took about two hours and was told the tech “spilled some oil near the fill cap” They even brought the car back out to me to drive off with a rag covering the air filter.
Just be careful where you get your vehicles serviced everyone!

IMG_0088.jpeg IMG_0088.jpeg IMG_0078.jpeg IMG_0079.jpeg IMG_0080.jpeg IMG_0095.jpeg IMG_0089.jpeg

941378F2-F620-46AA-81E4-93B6647F10CF.jpeg

Last edited:

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
Spilled oil was my first thought when I was reading this.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Beautiful car! No thanks, changing my own oil Saturday matter of fact. Sorry to see and hear what happened OP. I would get to the dealer manager/owner and make them do a lot of things to make your car right. Start by confirming what oil they filled it with it looks so bad!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Reason # 48 not to let other people work on my vehicles.

If only I could've sold all the "free" oil changes I've got with various vehicles it would've lowered the cost of oil changes by 50%. But so what? Knowing that it's done right is priceless, I think.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Don't trust many people with my car. Fortunately a good friend is an experienced mechanic. He does the labor intensive things for me.

OP
Roller
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denver
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #6
Beautiful car! No thanks, changing my own oil Saturday matter of fact. Sorry to see and hear what happened OP. I would get to the dealer manager/owner and make them do a lot of things to make your car right. Start by confirming what oil they filled it with it looks so bad!
Thanks for the insight, car should be at the dealership tomorrow to see what can be done. The oil should’ve been the recommended oil but we will see.

Bowtie Guy

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
I d loose my shit

GNBRETT

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Trackhawk, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Stang, Golf R
Change ur own dam oil bro vs letting kid getting paid $10 an hour doing it. It takes like 10 minutes?

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Keep in mind that 1/4 cup of fluid looks like a great amount when poured out onto something or the ground. This could just be from extremely messy and careless removal of the drain plug/old filter/oil cooler plug and a leftover mess on the underside shields...now who would make a mess like that and not clean it up on a car like that...well yeah I agree it's unbelievable how incompetent some low-level workers are nowadays.

Once you know the oil fill level is proper and the filter is on right and it runs with normal oil pressure and no weird noises, it's probably fine.

Last edited:

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Took mine to those guys a few years ago. I see they haven’t changed any. Took my freshly detailed SRT in there for a simple oil change and tire rotation. Gave back my car with oily hand prints all over the fender wheel areas.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Reason # 48 not to let other people work on my vehicles.

If only I could've sold all the "free" oil changes I've got with various vehicles it would've lowered the cost of oil changes by 50%. But so what? Knowing that it's done right is priceless, I think.
I’m with you on this. I’ve even asked that they give me the oil snd filters and I’d do the work myself. Denied all times!

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I’m with you on this. I’ve even asked that they give me the oil snd filters and I’d do the work myself. Denied all times!
I had 5 free with my ‘16. They gave me the oil and filters to do myself and logged them in service records. I do like my dealership.

They do good work on my Jeeps when needed, also.

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
If you watch the movie "A Bronx Tale" Sonny repeats himself several times in the movie.... "nobody cares". He's right. No one seems to give a crap about anything anymore. To treat a car like that in the manner in which they did is horrible. Sorry that had to happen to the OP.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Kind of a weird thread. I would think if the engine was started without the oil filter on, bearing damage would occur pretty quickly.....not right away, but within 10 seconds or so because as far as I know, all the oil the engine gets goes through that filter first.

-But you did say you "presumed they started your car without the filter on." If you feel that really happened, I wouldn't be taking it back to that same dealer...not a chance. I'd find another dealer that can remove and cut open the oil filter that was removed to check for bearing material and document everything. Other than that, there's no reason they should have returned the car to you until the entire oil spill was clean up fully....inside the plastic covers...everything. Good luck!

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
Run without a filter would have sprayed a lot more oil under pressure everywhere you think? Plus they would also have forgotten to fill it with oil to begin with or it might have also been pissing out the open filter housing (not sure if that is possible without the oil pump running however.)

I'm also with EricG on this one.

Now did they even drain the oil cooler?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Could be as simple as double gasket filter install.

That seems to happen somewhat frequently, in DIY cases at least.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Central
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Red/Red/Redeye
Or they forgot to tighten the oil cooler drain plug. Always check them for tightness before and after you drain them: there is a TSB on the defective cooler plug that loosens up.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Or they forgot to tighten the oil cooler drain plug.
That's the least likely scenario, I think. First the dealer has to know it exists, then remove panels to get to it.

But that they ignore it could be a good thing. That way they don't break the cooler by not using a wrench to support it when undoing the drain plug.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
When i started my career in automotive I was filling an engine with an air assisted fluid transfer pump and I couldn't turn it off. Needless to say I got oil everywhere. 🛢

🤷‍♂️

OP
Roller
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denver
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #20
Update 6/28/24
Dealership towed the car back and admitted they dropped the ball. They had the car inspected by their master techs, master tech pulled the plugs and inspected cylinder walls and performed a compression test to make sure that engine damage wasn’t done. Still waiting on Cylinder pictures. Dealership agreed to have the scratches fixed at a body shop of my choosing based on estimate.

Tried so hard to keep this car pristine it’s unfortunate that this happened.

Attachments