Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The Grey Ghost Lives!

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I saw one of its first shake down runs at Waterford Hills back in 1970. It started in back of the pack and passed all but one sports car of that day. Was stunned to see a Tempest smoking Vettes, Porsches, and Lotuses on a very tight road course. Only later learned it was Pontiac engineers building a car to compete in the Trans Am series.

SilverBillet

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I saw one of its first shake down runs at Waterford Hills back in 1970. It started in back of the pack and passed all but one sports car of that day. Was stunned to see a Tempest smoking Vettes, Porsches, and Lotuses on a very tight road course. Only later learned it was Pontiac engineers building a car to compete in the Trans Am series.
I wonder what cubic inch engine in the GTO? I saw Parnelli Jones win in the butterscotch Mustang at Limerock back in 1970. I was going to college in Boston and my fraternity brother, who lived in Newburg, NY, asked me to go. It was the only Trans Am or any road race I ever saw. I didn’t realize at the time what a piece of racing history I had witnessed. The Dan Gurney T/A Challengers and AAR Cudas were the coolest cars to me. The tractor trailer rigs they came in were unbelievable with matching paint schemes to the cars and inside lifts! Chrysler put some money into those! They were all awesome: the Chapparel Camaros, the Mark Donahue Javelin are some other ones I remember. It seems like Penske was backing the Javelin? What was really amazing was all the hot cars in the spectator parking. Everything from Cobra's and Vette’s to Road Runners! Thanks @jroyk for bringing back some old memories!

OP
jroyk

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Thread Starter #3
It was just a Tempest and the Trans-Am series was limited to 3 liters. So, I’m guessing a de-stroked 326?

The Can Am racing of that time was awesome, as well.

OP
jroyk

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy