Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Two Questions - Onboard Performance Timer Efficacy and the Camera Icon In the Gauge / G-meter Screens

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Greetings all:

Having not owned the Challenger HC RE before I only have the Charger HC to go off of. How accurate are the performance timers and such on these cars?

Synopsis: I ask because I took my soon out after we washed the car the other day and ran a really great time.

Details: as I do most of my driving on local highways paved with the high-temp mixture produced by contractors for the states west texas highways that is where I have done most of my acceleration testing. With the Charger and 305 drag radials it generally averaged around low threes as it is a very poor surface for grip (and this was backed up with the Red Eye in some basic familiarization runs) . We also have other surfaces available, most specifically thousands and thousands of feet of old 1940s and 1950s air force base runways. When I have run on these before I found that old concrete (which is amazing compared to what is considered "good" concrete work today) is outstanding as a launch surface. After washing the car my son and I went out to the runways / apron, and just screwing around the car ran, according to it, a 2.9. After seeing this, I tried it again a little more seriously, and pulled a 2.7. We then adjourned to a more secluded practice area (with the aforementioned high-temp road surface) and it ran the standard time and I also couldn't seem to fool it with wheel spin either.

Conclusion: if this car is running 2.7 0-60 on the runway concrete, I'll never run anywhere else. If I end up having to keep the car, I'll swap 20x11s with 325 R888Rs on it and just go to town. However, I suspect there is some aberration in the system that allowing erroneous times through. Please provide your thoughts and knowledge on this subject.

Mystery: First, I'm sure everyone loves folks who do not read the manual asking how to do things on here. I will now be guilty of this. My Charger did not have the little camera icon on the gauge / performance screens. How does this work? I'm assuming it records for a set time, or does it just take a snapshot of that particular screen? It always seemed to me it would make sense to be able to record those read outs and transfer them somehow, I am guessing Dodge finally implemented something like that?

Magnified

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
When I ran my 10.2 in ga the 1/4 timer showed 10.2 So at least on my car it accurate.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Agree on above, pretty close on all markers except 0-60 I’ve seen off

GNBRETT

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Trackhawk, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Stang, Golf R
Ull always be faster on Concrete. No Petro in it. Much easier to clean oil off at the strip to as its not as porous. On the road its better till it starts polishing after too much use.

0-60 times can vary a lot. Its just not a good indictaion of ur cars performance. Do some 1/8th or 1/4 mile pulls to give u a better idea. No one really gaugues their cars performance on 0-60 times these days.

Unless ur using a dedicated Draggy or the like I wouldnt put too much stock in the factory gauges for accuracy.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Yeah mine is within .1 and 1 mph of the track time slips. Keep that car!

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I know people preach about the draggy - and I don't know much about them or setting them up - but on my friend's McLaren his draggy was a half second quicker than what his time slips said.