Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What is up with this air deflector and pedal upgrade stuff?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
So, in the well of the trunk when I bought the Challenger Red Eye a few months back were two boxes (I may have mentioned, I don't recall): air deflectors for the front brakes, and the accelerator and brake pedal covers (shiny black rubber knobs over apparently polished steel). I purchased 305 R888Rs for the rears, 11 x 20 rears for them to go on, and went to my buddies tire shop. Put the Challenger up jacks (to leave the lifts free) and pulled all the wheels. Cleaned all the mating surfaces and inspect the wheel wells, etc.... Installed the air deflectors up front with no problem. Hardest part was converting nM to inch pounds, lol. Mounted the tires, swapped the TPMS sensors, and put the rears on. With my torn rotator cuff and all the hardware in my leg, my friend got down on the floor under the car and inspected the clearances on those rears (my old 2017 Hellcat Charger had zero modifications required to throw 20x11s and 305s on it). Not so this Challenger. We had to cut the thin wheel well liner on both sides and reinstall - not a big deal, but just odd as I've read on here and elsewhere that folks had no problems throwing things like this on. So, put it back on the ground, open the drivers side and David slides into try and install the pedals. Background - he (and his wife) are Corvette fans, they each have one, and are great car people. When I was really regretting selling the Charger HC he went out and bought a brand new Durango Hellcat (which I was aware of). What I was not aware of, was his struggle with this pedal cover issue (his were in a box in the back when he bought it too). He is no stranger to working on cars, so this was not just someone not knowing what they're doing. The brake pedal cut his hand badly; bled all over the foot well and tossed the pedal covers back in the box (covered in blood) and left them there until he traded the DHC in. So we're taking it easy on these pedals, and using gloves. Long story short, he could not get that brake pedal on. So, two questions:

1. (and most important) - Is there some secret to putting these on? My 2017 had it on from the dealer.

2. Why in the Hell are Dodge dealers not installing this equipment when the cars arrive? And, even more so, why is Dodge not putting them on at the factory? Having the pedal arm out of the car and on a bench would make it far more easy to install?

So, in the end, we left them off, put the old break pedal back on as well as we could get it, and thought I'd come here to ask you guys for your thoughts.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Hot water

You may not want the increased drag and/or slightly reduced ground clearance

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #3
The instructions note to use soapy water, which we did (both times). I think I'll get down myself and try it with hot. Maybe today.

Otherwise, though I do not care for our Dodge dealer here, I will head over and see if they would be willing to take responsibility for putting the brake pedal cover on.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
If it wasn't clear, soak them in the hot water to soften them up so they're more pliable

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Yeah, brake pedal is a bear to get on. Hot soapy after like @BULL said. I think the air deflectors are a gimmick. The oil and aux intercooler exit at the tire and I’m sure some of that air goes to the brakes

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
They’re a pain in the butt to install lol. But if you can’t get it I’d see if they would be willing to do it. My 2017 scat pack had them in a box and a trunk

SilverBillet

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Try prying the corners over the pedal with a flat screw driver. Just don’t rip the rubber