Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

VCM scanner and logging boost

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Has anyone had issues with VCM scanner logging boost incorrectly?

I have a 2015 Hellcat that has had 3 bar MAPS swapped into it, @ostmike corrected for the 3 bar MAPS in the tune and the car runs just fine. The problem I'm having is the boost pressure in VCM scanner is reading way high. I did the 3.8 Whipple swap and have been under the impression that the car has been making 23 PSI this whole time, but Mike said that based on aircharge it's hitting about 17 PSI peak and asked me to watch the dash gauge which I did and was seeing 16 so 17 peak would make sense. The issue is on VCM scanner when I'm logging it says the boost is peaking at 22-23 PSI and then even looses boost after the peak where it will just say the cars making vacuum the whole run and doesn't pick boost up again until I get off the throttle and the boost levels come down. I just tried a custom math parameter (manifold absolute pressure - 14.7) and saw the exact same result as using HPTuners pre-defined PSI channel.

I have been using an old beta version for a while but just downloaded the newest stable release and noticed the same thing on the log. Has anyone run into this and found a workaround?

EDIT: I just realized that when the MAP reading hits 255 KPA it will not go above that and drops down and slowly climbs back up again which explains why it's losing track of boost during the run. What I can't figure out is why it's reading 6-7 PSI higher than the car or aircharge, or the other thing because I'm an overthinker, is VCM scanner right and is the aircharge and dash reading off?

Screenshot 2023-07-20 215454.png

Last edited:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Has anyone had issues with VCM scanner logging boost incorrectly?

I have a 2015 Hellcat that has had 3 bar MAPS swapped into it, @ostmike corrected for the 3 bar MAPS in the tune and the car runs just fine. The problem I'm having is the boost pressure in VCM scanner is reading way high. I did the 3.8 Whipple swap and have been under the impression that the car has been making 23 PSI this whole time, but Mike said that based on aircharge it's hitting about 17 PSI peak and asked me to watch the dash gauge which I did and was seeing 16 so 17 peak would make sense. The issue is on VCM scanner when I'm logging it says the boost is peaking at 22-23 PSI and then even looses boost after the peak where it will just say the cars making vacuum the whole run and doesn't pick boost up again until I get off the throttle and the boost levels come down. I just tried a custom math parameter (manifold absolute pressure - 14.7) and saw the exact same result as using HPTuners pre-defined PSI channel.

I have been using an old beta version for a while but just downloaded the newest stable release and noticed the same thing on the log. Has anyone run into this and found a workaround?

EDIT: I just realized that when the MAP reading hits 255 KPA it will not go above that and drops down and slowly climbs back up again which explains why it's losing track of boost during the run. What I can't figure out is why it's reading 6-7 PSI higher than the car or aircharge, or the other thing because I'm an overthinker, is VCM scanner right and is the aircharge and dash reading off?

View attachment 110803
I'm as clueless reading this post...as if I was reading one of Hickster's....:giggle::giggle:;)

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
For tuning purposes I reference pRatio and Aircharge.
These are all the PCM uses (does not reference manifold pressure).
To roughly calculate actual boost pressure take the pRatio x 100 to calculate kPa and then convert it to Psi.
Just be careful how you use/reference "Boost" since it is the measure of resistance and not WHP.
One engine/SC combo could be making higher boost but producing LESS power than a similar combo (with the addition of a longer duration cam and headers) making less "boost".

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
There are also multiple ways to setup a custom "boost" PID. I think mine's set up to be (PRatio x Baro) - Baro but it's been a minute since I set it up. It reads correctly. I mainly reference aircharge but it is fun to see a boost number.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
boost is proportional to PR, PR is dead on in these cars.

(PR * Baro) - Baro = Boost

That was a pull after highway driving. So the 2.4 had fresh air over it.

If you have a 2.4… dont expect a lot of relief from any chiller. They just create too much heat. Also not indicative of sitting in a staging lane heat soaking with an exhaust leak like me 😂
https://www.hellcatforum.org/threads/live-action-from-fumanchu182.6592/page-85#post-346714

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
@fumanchu182 I think you're the one who told me how to create that custom PID.

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
There are also multiple ways to setup a custom "boost" PID. I think mine's set up to be (PRatio x Baro) - Baro but it's been a minute since I set it up. It reads correctly. I mainly reference aircharge but it is fun to see a boost number.
Thanks guys, I’ll give that a shot. I mainly want to log it just so I can graph it to watch for belt slip etc.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
You will notice belt slip when the rpm climb and boost does not. Also keep in mind false belt slip could be your supercharger bypass closing, suggest you log all three.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
You will notice belt slip when the rpm climb and boost does not. Also keep in mind false belt slip could be your supercharger bypass closing, suggest you log all three.
I think he has a3.8, not sure if it has the hellcat electronic bypass?

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
I'm trying to get this setup but which parameter are you guys using for PRatio? I'm still a bit of a newb with VCM scanner.

Screenshot 2023-07-22 203624.png

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11
I think he has a3.8, not sure if it has the hellcat electronic bypass?
Mine has one, I have a feeling the Hellcat 3.8 has quite a few differences from the hot rod or drag pak 3.8 that has been for sale for a bit.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'm trying to get this setup but which parameter are you guys using for PRatio? I'm still a bit of a newb with VCM scanner.

View attachment 110932
“pressure ratio” dont abbreviate

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
“pressure ratio” dont abbreviate
Well that makes all the sense I even typed pressure and saw that one. Thanks!