Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

E85 oil contamination is a self inflicted wound.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
@fumanchu182 what is that in your catch can?? I've never seen anything but oil in mine.

Also, I drove my old car for a year on E85, raced, street pulls, cruises, etc. 5,000 miles (ish) and sent a sample in to Blackstone. No E85 found in the oil and oil viscosity was unchanged as well.

I actually did this twice and both times fuel was less than .5% in the analysis which is the least they can measure I believe.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
@fumanchu182 what is that in your catch can?? I've never seen anything but oil in mine.

Also, I drove my old car for a year on E85, raced, street pulls, cruises, etc. 5,000 miles (ish) and sent a sample in to Blackstone. No E85 found in the oil and oil viscosity was unchanged as well.

I actually did this twice and both times fuel was less than .5% in the analysis which is the least they can measure I believe.
E85 and moisture that would have otherwise been sent back into the motor.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I don't see anything different in the filters other than price and pressure flow. SRT engineers designed this filter for the Viper not the Hellcat. The Hellcat oil pump is vastly different than a viper one. Just so someone can draw their own conclusions:

Factory service manual:
View attachment 140403

Have your car at a dealership, you're getting an 899 filter.
I have always run the SRT filters on my Hellcats from day one. I provide to the dealership or they provide. Yes I trust but verify.

RGPIII

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I don't see anything different in the filters other than price and pressure flow. SRT engineers designed this filter for the Viper not the Hellcat. The Hellcat oil pump is vastly different than a viper one. Just so someone can draw their own conclusions:

Factory service manual:
View attachment 140403

Have your car at a dealership, you're getting an 899 filter.

Not saying the 899 isn't adequate, just saying as the video stated the 041 is a much better filter for any modified Hemi engine. Filters down to a much smaller micron keeping more debris out of the engine. It is a Wix filter that you can cross to the Wix part number and when cut open are identical.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI