Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Nitto 555R2 question

DGatzby

7000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
That 820 is WAY too tall bro not a chance

...and if you are going to do a 305/35 you could also run a high-end street tire like the Michelin PS4S or the summer Continentals, those are about the only two I would consider.

For some reason I can't get the multi-quote system to work. Yes, those are incredibly tall, that's why I was asking if anyone knew why they made a version so tall? I can't see the purpose (but maybe I'm not smart enough - I'm just a dumb country boy from west texas)

I had PS4S before on the Charger HC, okay but had some strange handling characteristics (at least my set). There is a sizeable thread on here. For daily driving, I would go with them without a thought. I ended up running through several sets of M/T ET Street SS and loved them for the street grip launch on the asphalt we have here (west texas high - temp). For this Red Eye I am trying to decide between 555R2s and ET Street SS.
Many of us have gone thru several sets of these and we do not have the problem caused by alignment or something else that you had with these tires. Never has been proven to be the fault of the tires the car does strange things. Hope it don’t rain when you are driving the RE with DR’s Mag.

Just set a PB street 1/4 mile for myself on my PS4S’s a couple of weeks ago on a cool morning. I was up near 140 mph and it was smooth as ever. I had a set of wide Nitto’s on my ‘15 and one morning it decided to do the rear rock and roll FYI. The RE also has done it at the track with Cup 2’s and the OEM Pirelli tires. Every time it does that, either we find an alignment or other problem with one of the corners. But never has it been because of one kind/brand/size of tire. I have seen three different types/sizes/brands cause rear end rock and roll. Just trying to help you make a good decision brother. It does seem like the wider the tire installed it becomes more sensitive to any problem.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
The Firestones are a good tire for the money, I have not personally run them. @Jimmy N. has them

I don’t think they make the ET Street SS in a 305/35, so it’s only Nittos for a “drag radial” otherwise IMO the PS4S or Continentals are probably the best choice. Think the Michelins are more $$$, I can’t say if they are worth it for sure but I have them and like them. $475 per tire though…

I have Michelins all the way around, 275/40 on 9.5s on the front and 305/35 on 10.5 on the back. Looks subtly badass. Of course you can overpower them on the street if you want to, but they do grab pretty well and if you get into it progressively they do hook and book and feel fantastic!

Gas and tires, that’s all these Hellcats really need. A lot of gas and tires though

Indigo Joe

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
The sticks
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I use 305 x 18 street R's at the track and they do pretty good. On the street, looks wins over all out performance in my personal opinion, and after going through I don't know how many sets of tires on 4 of these cars in the last few years I have determined that to make myself happy and not always feel something is just is a little bit off, I need a rear tire 28.6 tall at minimum, to 28.9 tall to look right on what I own, and it may not be the absolute widest or grabiest but it has to be soft- maybe 100 at the most tread wear rating and be able to take rain and go a reasonable speed in it when 100 miles from home. I am not asking for much, am I ? lol. I don't expect to do any digs with a street tire but a solid 45 or 50 mph roll-on would be acceptable, and all that is really expected by me. And the 275s R2's (allegedly) do good enough for me and actually look wider than some 275s. I had 305/35R20 MT street SS for a good while on the Redeyes and they were good runners and fit good enough and looked good enough on my stock 9.5 wheel, but I was afraid to get caught in the rain.. And lastly I prefer to keep stock forged wheels on the blue Redeye. Hey Eric, Mr. 1 of not-too-many 2019 blue redeyes.. How are you doing ?

Last edited:

GNBRETT

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Trackhawk, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Stang, Golf R
Whatever u decide steer clear of the PS4. Just the absolute worst tire ive ever used smh. Fucking skating pond! The Nitto 555R2 are fine in the rain as long as u have the grooves.....

Like ALL drag radial tires they wear out sooner then later and then it will be a slick but until then the 555R2 is fine in the rain. They have rain groves just like all seasons do they are just super soft and wont last. Some ppl only take their car out a few times a month. If so, the DR will last a couple years before the grooves wear out depending on how hard u drive it.

The Conti Extreme Contact Sport 02 is still the better tire by a LONG shot and works better in the rain than the PS4 which is about all thats good for imo. Yea if u wanna cruise down the hiway at high speeds its stable and all but if u wanna make any power they spin like crazy and are utterly useless! That was on 93 octane that wasnt even an E85 tune smh.

I can remember last year going thru Hartford and giving it some gas with the PS4's and literally spinning across 3 lanes thank god no one was in the other lanes. The PS4 is just damgerous period!

The Nitto 555R2 doesnt hook up better than the Conti when its dry! The Conti is the tire to buy! Fact! Not to mention the PS4 is more expensive and dont last as long as the Conti.

Last edited:

GNBRETT

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Trackhawk, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Stang, Golf R

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
@16GoManGoHC2 is draggy good for recording race day conditions? Is it accurate per the track?

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Whatever u decide steer clear of the PS4. Just the absolute worst tire ive ever used smh. Fucking skating pond! The Nitto 555R2 are fine in the rain as long as u have the grooves.....

Like ALL drag radial tires they wear out sooner then later and then it will be a slick but until then the 555R2 is fine in the rain. They have rain groves just like all seasons do they are just super soft and wont last. Some ppl only take their car out a few times a month. If so, the DR will last a couple years before the grooves wear out depending on how hard u drive it.

The Conti Extreme Contact Sport 02 is still the better tire by a LONG shot and works better in the rain than the PS4 which is about all thats good for imo. Yea if u wanna cruise down the hiway at high speeds its stable and all but if u wanna make any power they spin like crazy and are utterly useless! That was on 93 octane that wasnt even an E85 tune smh.

I can remember last year going thru Hartford and giving it some gas with the PS4's and literally spinning across 3 lanes thank god no one was in the other lanes. The PS4 is just damgerous period!

The Nitto 555R2 doesnt hook up better than the Conti when its dry! The Conti is the tire to buy! Fact! Not to mention the PS4 is more expensive and dont last as long as the Conti.
That just doesn't sound right at all. Did you not heat-cycle the rubber or break in the tires properly, or did you have too big of tires on too small of a wheel? I've run a lot of tires in my day, and the PS4S are pretty damn good! But maybe I will try the Continentals next if they are that great.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
@16GoManGoHC2 is draggy good for recording race day conditions? Is it accurate per the track?
Yes, VERY, especially the newest version. I posted a screenshots of track time, slips and draggy screenshots and most times 60’, 330’, 1/8, 1000’, 1/4 markers were within .01 seconds draggy verses track timer. I’ll see if I can find any of those photos.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
So I just googled and I see they do now make a 305/35r20 Mickey ET Street SS. $505 per tire though! Nittos are about $400 - correct? Looks like the Contis are approx $434 and the Michelins are $490.

Last edited:

MMissile

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Macomb County
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Hellcat WB
Yes, VERY, especially the newest version. I posted a screenshots of track time, slips and draggy screenshots and most times 60’, 330’, 1/8, 1000’, 1/4 markers were within .01 seconds draggy verses track timer. I’ll see if I can find any of those photos.
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a set. What is the newest version? What to look for?

bennydodge

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Thornton
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I have the 555R2's and pretty much the same as mentioned here, very good tire overall. I can actually apply heavy throttle in first gear now. I've been in steady rain with them and no worries there. I'm using the stock size on stock slingshot wheels.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a set. What is the newest version? What to look for?
Talking Draggy here, you meaning tires? If tires same as I posted, be sure they are the Sport O2’s

MMissile

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Macomb County
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thank you. I'm not racing seriously with my HC, so I figure I'll buy a set so I can rotate for wear.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thank you. I'm not racing seriously with my HC, so I figure I'll buy a set so I can rotate for wear.
Hardest part about that is putting a huge tire up front on the regular body...living with the 275 on the rear - well duh of course you are not racing seriously with that because it's not possible lol

MMissile

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Macomb County
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
I was thinking about a 275 on the front of my widebody, on the standard rims....but I'll just run 305's all the way around. I race my old NA cars.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I was thinking about a 275 on the front of my widebody, on the standard rims....but I'll just run 305's all the way around. I race my old NA cars.
Oh nvrmnd, I thought you had a regular body car.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Here’s an example I found. I’ve did comparisons many times, some have been much closer then these but these popped up in recents. Draggy get the ET MPH high as it records instant MPH at 1/4 end where the track looks at trap lights point A to B lights over maybe the last 50-100ft, I forget exactly what the distance is. This was running the 20” 305 Conti’s at the track. M6 remember, not the best 60’ times.

IMG_5583.png IMG_5582.png

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The Firestones are a good tire for the money, I have not personally run them. @Jimmy N. has them
I do, and will most likely get another set this spring. There was some other tire I considered (a Conti?), but I have time to decide.

And keep in mind that I really only care about cornering, not anything 0-whatever. Do like 60-120s, though. And if I have my way the 'Cat will never see rain, no matter what tires are on it.

MMissile

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Macomb County
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
About 4-500 bucks difference in a set. I'm a bit torn. Those or the Conti's. However, I would like a bunch better 0-? than the stock Perellis.

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Might as well get arturos then