Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Weird Thump sound after start up

Member ID
Reactions
City
Toronto
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2023 dodge charger hellcat jailbreak
Hey guys so my hellcat charger 23 got 1500km and I’m getting this random thump/ kick feel right after car starts but hasn’t done on cold start. But from outside sound it seems to sound like a drive shaft engagement or something. Has anyone dealt with something like this and should I take it in. No lights on dash and drives perfect just feels like someone kicking you. Owned a trx and had driveshaft issue but only when stoping but feels the same 🤷🏻‍♂️ thanks for your help 🍻

06SRT10NR

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Knobnation
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat M6
pics of the car?

where's the sound coming from?

if it's directly below the driver/passenger footwell/seat, I'd take a look at the exhaust valves, check for surface corrosion. not uncommon in humid environments. often the cause of squealing, or a thump when they stick and suddenly break loose [broken several exhaust valve springs due to this]

SilverBillet

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
pics of the car?

if it's directly below the driver/passenger footwell/seat, I'd take a look at the exhaust valves, check for surface corrosion. not uncommon in humid environments. often the cause of squealing, or a thump when they stick and suddenly break loose [broken several exhaust valve springs due to this]
Aren’t the exhaust valves are further back?

SilverBillet

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Hey guys so my hellcat charger 23 got 1500km and I’m getting this random thump/ kick feel right after car starts but hasn’t done on cold start. But from outside sound it seems to sound like a drive shaft engagement or something. Has anyone dealt with something like this and should I take it in. No lights on dash and drives perfect just feels like someone kicking you. Owned a trx and had driveshaft issue but only when stoping but feels the same 🤷🏻‍♂️ thanks for your help 🍻
Is the sound just when you start it and it’s idling or when you put it in gear?

OP
T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toronto
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
I’m in park and not moving at all. Car runs amazing no issues just when I push button to start it cranks fine but the second right after it starts it feels like some engagement/ hard kick/thump under seat from inside but if you listen from out side sounds like engagement metal sound. Weird stuff. Car was bought new and did break in on point

OP
T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toronto
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
pics of the car?

Yeah feels like right under the seat foot area. I’m going in for oil change Thursday as I’m done my break in will reach 2k so I’ll get them to check what you mentioned. Appreciate all the help from everyone ! Great community thanks !

OP
T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toronto
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
So cold starts never happen so far but say I drive 5-10 miles and turn off car go run some errands come back it might do it might not. But seems to be when it’s hot outside something is sticking but I’m not a mechanic so I might be blowing smoke from my behind 😂 but overall the thump/ kick feeling is very noticeable and just don’t wanna leave it and other stuff happen

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Sounds like it is repeatable. Drive to the dealership and get the serv mgr to come out and try it.

AND POST PICS OF THE CAR!

And take a vid and post the link.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 F150 Platinum Whippled
Do you know how to put it into neutral without it running? Do that, and start it in neutral and see if that changes anything.

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Mine takes a minute to engage in drive or reverse from park snd thumps

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
I
Ive noticed on my 23 charger hellcat as well the start up seems a little weird to me once you turn it over and it starts settling in it does this thing where it almost sounds like it’s misfiring like the natural flow of the sound of exhaust gets a little offbeat for maybe 10 seconds until the cold start is over. But the car mostly runs perfect I just created a thread though that my car has been experiencing a shift stutter at wide open throttle mainly in 3rd gear. It only happens 5 percent of the time on a pull so it’s a bit of an anomaly. I’m thinking it’s something to do with the computer but maybe I should take it in to get looked over by a tech